Members of Southbank Gamelan Players are excited to be involved in this project.
PULSE, commissioned by the Royal Philharmonic Society, brings together British/Bulgarian composer Dobrinka Tabakova and Scottish film-maker Ruth Paxton to create a new score and film for the PRS for Music Foundation’s New Music Biennial in 2014, one of 20 new commissions selected from over 130 proposals.
Taking the ideas of ‘pulse’ and ‘place’, this collaboration pairs Tabakova’s rich musical language with Paxton’s bold film-making to create a film that explores the energy and diversity of life in a modern city and the driving forces behind how different societies and cultures mix. This is the first time that composer and film-maker have worked together. They are collaborating on the narrative shaping of the film, which will be screened to Tabakova’s new score for piano, percussion and gamelan, performed live and recorded, nationwide.
PULSE will be performed throughout 2014 at a range of venues across the UK including:
- 28 January 2014 – 7PM – Shortwave Cinema, London – PRIVATE VIEW
- 13 February 2014 – 9PM – WORLD PREMIERE – Glasgow Short Film Festival – The Arches, Glasgow
- 14 February 2014 – 11AM – Talk with Ruth Paxton and Dobrinka Tabakova – Glasgow Short Film Festival – CCA, Glasgow
- 6 July 2014 – 5PM – Queen Elizabeth Hall, Southbank Centre, London
- 2 August 2014 – Glasgow Royal Concert Halls, Glasgow